Monday

Update on osc

I'm still not really sure exactly which direction I want osc to pursue, but I've settled on a plan for now. osc will be the first in a non-linear series of games. It will set up the story for the next games, without having any kind of interesting twist which makes it separate from all other Metroidvania games. I'm too far into it to add an interesting gameplay element, but I'll keep trying to think of some, and each of these twists will be the basis for an entire game, which will be a sequel to osc. At some point in the story of osc will be a decision between several paths. In osc itself, nothing will change no matter which path is taken, but the next game in the series will be decided by it, much like the evolution pattern of the Pokemon Eevee. For example, when the game is beaten, the ending message will tell what the sequel will be based on the choice in the game. The sequel will carry on where osc left off, and each possible sequel will have a different main gameplay element.

As for my progress on the game, I must admit I haven't done much. I managed to put in keys and doors without many problems, and also doors to other levels without any problems in the code, but with many problems in practicality.

I've also added an external level editor. Isn't it just so advanced?
That .txt file results in the level shown in the image in the post below. It really is a text file, and it's incredibly annoying to use. There aren't even any line breaks, because I think that was probably where I went wrong the last time I tried to make a similar level editor. To be able to understand which row is which without having to count in multiples of 16, I have to resize the window so that the text wraps around every 16 characters. Safe to say, it's a huge step down from Atmosphir.

Next step is to give osc the ability to throw part of his scarf at enemies.

3 comments:

  1. In python, you can remove newlines with

    f = open("mylevel.txt")
    level = f.read()
    f.close()
    level = level.replace('\n', '')

    I'm sure a similar ".replace" expression exists in Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and I love the scarf idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Killer scarf fragments! But retractable. Or re-ravellable?

    ReplyDelete